The State Archive of Naples is a peripheral office of the Ministry of Culture. It provides for the conservation, protection and promotion of the documentary heritage and promotes its use by scholars and citizens.
The State Archive of Naples, founded in 1808, from 1845 had its headquarters in the monumental complex of Saints Severino and Sossio, one of the most important and ancient centers of Benedictine spirituality in the South of Italy.
The Neapolitan archive, with its four floors and its deposits of over 70 kilometres of documents, represents an essential point of reference for research in the sector of medieval, modern and contemporary history of Italy and Europe, as well as, of the history of Southern Italy.
The Institute supervises the archives of the peripheral state offices located in the province of Naples.